25 Of The Most Amazing Facts About Earth

amazing facts about earthWe’ve lived our entire lives on this planet, but how much do you really know about it? Chances are, your kids know more about Earth than you do. Then again, there are still tons of amazing facts about Earth that you and your kids could have so much fun learning together. Here are 25 amazing facts about Earth to get you started.

1. In case you didn’t notice, the Earth is the only planet in the solar system that isn’t named after a mythical deity.

2. Teachers have been telling us the world is round. Technically, however, the Earth is actually an oblate spheroid, thanks not only to a slight equatorial bulge but also to its slightly flattened top and bottom poles.

3. Earth is somewhat of a misnomer, if only for the fact that only 29% of its surface is soil/land—“earth”. Water makes up the other 71%.

4. Every year, the continents move about 2 centimeters. At this rate, it’s not unthinkable for the planet to eventually have 8 or more continents in the next few million years.

5. At the center of the Earth sits a solid iron ball 1,500 miles wide. Although the temperature there is about 9900 degrees Fahrenheit, this iron ball doesn’t melt because of extreme pressure.

6. A human being may technically be lighter or heavier in specific locations of the globe. That’s because the pull of gravity differs all over the planet. Your weight depends on your distance from the Earth’s core.

7. The planet gets struck by lightning 8.6 million times per day.

8. The Great Wall of China is not visible from outer space as previously claimed. What’s visible though is the country’s pollution, with smog so thick it obscures images taken by satellites from outer space.

9. The single most expensive manmade object in space—or anywhere on Earth for that matter—is the International Space Station, which was built at a cost of US$150 billion. That’s enough to buy 1.5 million homeless Americans a US$100,000 home each or 60 Virginia-class nuclear submarines.

10. There are now 38,000 manmade objects in space since Sputnik 1, the first manmade object in space, was launched in 1957.

11. About 99% of the gold on Earth lies in the core. If harnessed, this much gold can form a 1.5-foot thick coat around the surface of the planet.

12. A day isn’t really 24 hours long. The Earth completes its rotation on its axis in only 23 hours, 56 minutes, and four seconds.

13. Ninety-seven percent of water on Earth is salted. If all this saltwater is evaporated and the resulting salt is spread all over the Earth’s land, everything would be covered by a five hundred-foot layer of salt.

14. Our Moon is not alone in orbiting the planet. Two asteroids, 3753 Cruithne and 2002 AA29, are also known to orbit the Earth.

15. Of all the planets in the solar system, only the Earth has water in three states of matter: solid, liquid and gas.

16. Now 18.6 billion kilometers away, the NASA spacecraft Voyager 1 is the one manmade object in space that is farthest from Earth. It is also responsible for the Pale Blue Dot, a picture of the Earth taken from a distance of 3.7 billion miles, the farthest distance a picture of the planet has been taken from.

17. Unlike what is portrayed in movies where unprotected people instantly mummify upon exposure to the vacuum of space, a human being can actually survive there unprotected—for all of two minutes.

18. In contrast, a tardigrade, an eight-legged water-dwelling and segmented micro-animal, can exist in a vacuum for 10 days. Also known as waterbears or moss piglets, tardigrades have a richly deserved reputation for being the toughest animal species on Earth for its ability to thrive in the most extreme geographic and physical conditions.

19. The driest place on Earth is Dry Valleys, Antartica, where it hasn’t rained for the last 2 million years.

20. The Earth’s core is just as hot as the surface of the sun at 5500 °C or 9900 °F.

21. Less than 10% of the Earth’s oceans have been explored by humans.

22. Two people die every second, which translates to 172,800 deaths every day.

23. On the other hand, the 200,000 people born every day more than make up for those deaths.

24. Shark attacks kill 8 to 12 people per year. Humans, however, kill 100 million sharks yearly for their fins, pushing them further into becoming another animal species on Earth to become extinct.

25. About 75% of the animal species on Earth could become extinct in the next 300 years.

Leave a Reply

Full-featured Trial

Free Math Boost

Ever wondered where exactly your child is at with mastering their times tables? Or addition?

Grab our free 7-day trial now and find out, while giving their math mastery a sure boost.

Free Math Boost

Follow Us

Education and Parenting chat on Twitter:

Our latest news on Twitter:

Find us on Facebook